Planning Requirements for Landlords


A lot of landlords are not aware that in Manchester planning is required to rent out a property to more than two tenants (three or more separate households/tenants). This because the Council has used a legal process called an Article 4 Direction which means that development, which in other places would not usually need planning permission, does in Manchester.

This means in Manchester planning permission is needed for a change of use between a typical home for a single household (family) to a HMO property (House of multiple occupancy, a property used with three or more people sharing).

For more information go to: Article 4 Direction: changing the use of your property | Article 4 Direction: changing the use of your property | Manchester City Council

We have found that planning is coming to the fore when landlords of HMO properties are looking to sell. All buyers are requesting proof that properties have the relevant planning in place but be used as HMO properties. As a lot of landlords do not have this planning in place as they have owned the properties for so long they can apply for a lawful development certificate. To do this proof that the property has been a HMO for the past 10 years needed. This done by providing copies of 10 years tenancy agreements.

Application for a Lawful Development Certificate for an Existing use, Proposed use, or Operation or Activity in Breach of a Planning Condition (

If you are looking for a new property, why not use our Property Search where new properties are being added daily. Such is our expertise in property management and lettings, we’ve now created an Investor’s Club – read more about what we can offer by clicking here.

For help and advice regarding your property investments and lettings, please get in touch with Neil Ryder on 0161 434 5009, or email:

Share on social media: